Friday, May 20, 2011

Jake Wolf

It's too cold to do anything else in Hanover. I'm the one in pink.

Hey!
I"m a junior at Dartmouth College and am studying Mechanical Engineering. I'm originally from Madison, Wisconsin. Over the summer I'm going to be doing this: Simulating the electrical environment near lunar topographic features using the surface charging code NASCAP-2K with Dr. Mike Zimmerman. Basically I get to play with Matlab all day!!

Despite spending most of my waking and non-waking hours in the engineering school, I do some more interesting things. I like to play tennis and hockey and really enjoy getting outside (climbing, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, windsurfing and sailing). Hopefully I'll get to do some of those things this summer, and maybe even with the rest of you if any of you guys want to join! I also am a part of Dartmouth Humanitarian Engineering, so I spend a lot of my time thinking about and designing small hydroelectric turbines for rural African (mostly Rwandan) villages. Most weeks I spend a while staring at pieces of ice under an SEM trying to figure out what happens when you slide two pieces of super cold ice together. Shockingly, this is relevant to lunar and planetary science because it helps us gain an understanding of what might be occurring on icy satellites like Europa.

Other stuff, in list form because it's the internet and your attention spans shouldn't be long enough to read this sentence, that you might be interested in but I managed to skip in the previous paragraphs:
- I'm a triplet. My sister is also at Dartmouth and my brother goes to University of Michigan.
- I don't play a musical instrument, but most of you seem to, so I might pick one up. So far I'm considering the ukulele, harmonica, guitar, banjo and kazoo. Any advice/input?
- I have high standards for cheese. 10 year aged sharp cheddar is the best thing that you will ever eat.
- I like fun. Both the band and the state of existence, so lets do that this summer.
- I like space and space travel.
- I'm super pumped for the summer. I can't wait to meet all of you, it's going to be an awesome experience.

T-minus 17 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment