Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Nicole Thom

In honor of Syttende Mai (Norwegian Constitution Day, which was yesterday) this is a pic of me making traditional Norwegian waffles with brown cheese and jam.

Hi Everyone!  I am Nicole, and I just finished my first year of grad school at the University of North Dakota, where I’m getting a Masters in Space Studies.  I’m thrilled to be back to my native North Dakota after leaving for 4 years, when I left to receive my undergrad degree in astronomy at Yale.
            Like I said, I am originally from North Dakota, and I love the state.  (And no, I don’t have the accent from the movie Fargo…unless I’m talking with someone from home).  I grew up on a family farm, where we still grow wheat and soy beans and raise cattle.  My parents were thrilled with this internship because I will be back just in time to help with harvest.   
            Other than that, I enjoy participating in the various Dakota Space Studies events.  I am also a member of UND’s Frozen Fury team, which works on building a rocket and scientific payload for a competition held each spring.  However, my true love lies outside of the space field.  I have a deep love for all things Scottish, and have taken up playing the bagpipes.  I split my time between two bands, one in Fargo and the other in Winnipeg, Canada.  Needless to say, I put on quite a few miles on my car!  I am also interested and Korean culture, so I am trying to brush up on my Korean language skills (which I currently have very little of).  I have also been involved in tae kwon do for many years, obtaining my black belt two years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment